These Mini Brownie Bites are a great recipe; intensely rich, fudgy, and chocolatey with extra layers of flavor from the espresso powder and texture from the chocolate chips baked into the batter. Perfect for any chocoholic cravings!
I love making this mini brownie bites recipe for girls nite entertaining where we want to sample all the things! We also like making them for the kids' sleepovers along with other late-night treats and snacks! They are similar to the popular two-bite brownies but they are a better homemade brownie recipe made with real ingredients! Try these Zucchini Brownies to sneak in some extra goodness into your cravings!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- These fudgy brownies are quick and easy to make with simple ingredients and mini muffin tins and they are ready in under 30 minutes! So you don't have to wait for a special occasion to make them!
- They are perfect for parties but also an indulgent bite size dessert to satisfy a sweet tooth any time!
- They are so easy to customize with a drizzle of melted chocolate, varying the chocolate chips, or even adding nuts.
- One bowl and no special equipment needed except a mini muffin tin.
- Unsalted butter: Using unsalted melted butter allows you to control the amount of salt in the recipe and makes mixing with the other ingredients easier.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: adds a deep rich chocolatey flavor to this recipe.
- Espresso powder: enhances the depth of the chocolate flavor in these homemade brownie bites without it tasting like coffee. It's an optional ingredient but highly recommended!
- Brown sugar: sweetens the brownies with a molasses-like flavor as well as contributes to their moist texture. You can use light or dark brown sugar, depending on your preferences.
- All-purpose flour: provides the structure in the recipe. Be careful to measure the flour carefully by spooning it into the measuring cup and leveling it off with a butter knife. This will ensure a fudgy texture.
- Eggs: The combination of one whole egg and one egg yolk contributes to making these fudgy little brownies irresistible! Make sure your eggs are at room temperature for better incorporation into the mixture.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract is preferred over imitation vanilla for its superior flavor.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: These are folded into the batter to give the brownies an extra burst of chocolate flavor and texture. You can use any type of chocolate chip you enjoy!
How to Make Mini Brownie Bites
- Melt the butter on low heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add in the cocoa powder, espresso powder (if using), and brown sugar.
- Whisk until combined and allow to cool.
- Add in egg and egg yolk.
- Whisk eggs into chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Scoop batter into a mini muffin pan that has been buttered or sprayed with cooking spray, or lined with paper liners. Bake for just 10 minutes (to keep their fudgy centers) and allow to rest for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool or serve warm with ice cream!
Expert Tips and Tricks
- These bite size brownies are quite easy to whip up, but it's crucial that you don't overbake them, or they'll lose their incredibly fudgy texture.
- Make sure to let the brownie batter cool before adding the chocolate chips; otherwise, they'll fully melt, and you'll miss out on the added layer of texture.
- It's essential to grease your muffin pan properly or line it with cupcake wrappers to make it easy to remove the bites.
- If you want crackly tops on your brownies be sure to beat the batter aggressively with an electric hand mixer after the eggs are added. Be sure to fold in your chocolate chips though so they stay intact.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to ensure uniform brownie bites that bake evenly.
- If you prefer sweeter brownies, you can try adding white or milk chocolate chips to the recipe instead of dark or semi-sweet.
- Before baking, feel free to top brownies with chopped nuts, sprinkles, or mini chocolate chips to give your brownie bites an extra boost of flavor and texture.
- Match your party theme by garnishing them with sprinkles or drizzling them with melted chocolate chips once they have cooled completely.
- You can store leftover brownie bites in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days. Wrap individual brownie bites in plastic wrap or place them in an airtight container, and freeze them for up to 3 months. When you're ready to enjoy them, simply allow them to thaw at room temperature.
frequently asked questions
Either generously grease your mini muffin pan with butter to prevent your brownies from sticking or use mini cupcake liners! If you grease the pan be sure to remove them 5 minutes after baking. If they feel stuck use a plastic butter knife to gently release the sides and they will pop right out!
The key to making these fudgy brownie bites is to not overbake them! They shouldn't need more than about 10 minutes!
Yes! You can individually wrap them with plastic wrap and then place them in a freezer-safe zip-top bag. They will keep for about 3 months. Thaw them in the fridge overnight.
- Use coconut oil instead of butter for a dairy-free version.
- Swap out the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour for a gluten-free version. You can also try this recipe for Gluten-Free Brownies!
- Use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar for a slightly healthier alternative.
- If you are short on time you can use a brownie mix! I would substitute the water for milk and add chocolate chips!
- Add ½ cup of chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans for extra texture.
- Swap out the semi-sweet chocolate chips for white chocolate chips or peanut butter chips.
- Add ½ cup of dried fruit like cherries or cranberries for a fruity or festive twist.
Mini Brownie Bites
- saucepan medium
- silicone spatula
- cookie scoop
- mini muffin pan
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon espresso powder *optional but adds a deeper flavor
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- * optional - sprinkles and extra melted chocolate chips for drizzling.
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and prepare a mini muffin pan by buttering it or lining it with mini cupcake liners.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and then add in the cocoa powder, brown sugar, and espresso powder (if using). Whisk until smooth and combined.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract, and whisk until combined.
- Slowly add in the flour and salt using a silicone spatula, and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop to fill the muffin pan evenly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the brownie bites are set. Be careful not to overbake them!
- Allow the brownie bites to cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can serve the brownie bites warm or allow them to cool and garnish them with sprinkles or more melted chocolate. Enjoy!